What to Do for a Suspected Propane Leak
Extinguish Open Flames
Do not use electronics or appliances. This includes cell phones. Do not turn your lights on or off. ANYTHING that can cause static or a spark can trigger an explosion.
Leave the Building
Make sure all people and animals are out of your home and are a safe distance away.
Turn Off the Gas
If you can safely do so, turn your main tank valve clockwise until it’s completely closed.
Report the Leak and Stay Away
Call Keystone Propane at: (800) 598-5047
If you can’t reach us immediately, call 911 or your local fire department. Stay away from the area until a Keystone technician checks your system and gives you the “All Clear”.
Do not let your tank run out of gas. Here are just a few of the dangerous issues that can arise if this happens:
- If an appliance valve or a gas line is left open, a leak can occur when the system is filled.
- Air and moisture can get into your tank causing rust. Over time, this can weaken the integrity of your tank and rust makes a leak harder to smell because it decreases the concentration of odor.
- If your tank runs out of gas, any pilot lights on your appliances will go out. This can be extremely dangerous.
- In order to meet federal code requirements, any interruption of service requires a leak test be performed (at your cost) by a qualified technician.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odorless gas that is produced whenever something burns. This dangerous gas can come from faulty appliances or venting systems that are not operating properly. High levels of CO can make you dizzy or sick. In extreme cases, CO can cause brain damage and death. Things you can do to avoid/detect a build-up of CO gas:
- Install CO detectors on each level of your home.
- On an annual basis, have a qualified technician check your appliances and venting systems prior to the start of heating season.
- Do not use portable heaters indoors unless they are specifically approved for indoor use.
- Routinely check your appliance’s exhaust vents for blockages.
Signs you may have CO in your home:
- Black, sooty marks or yellow/brown stains on your appliances and vents.
- Yellow flames from your appliances instead of blue
- Pilot lights frequently going out
- People or pets exhibiting symptoms of CO poisoning that seem to lessen after spending time away from your home