Now that we’re entering a new year, some of us are probably thinking about how to make home life more comfortable, efficient and less costly – especially as some of us continue to work remotely. You may have seen your utility bills start to increase in price over the last year, between preparing more meals at home and using more water. On top of that, computers, lights, and tv’s are getting more daily use than normal. There are several ways you can cut back on expenses in 2022 though, while continuing to work remotely or just spending more time around the house in general. Here are five tips from Keystone Propane:
- When electronic items such as phones, tablets, or laptops are fully charged, unplug them from the wall. Chargers typically continue to use energy even when they aren’t connected or charging any devices.
- Making more home cooked meals? Propane-fuelled stovetops and ovens provide complete heat control, making cooking faster and more precise. Because of faster heat-up times, a gas stove can save an average of 10% – 30%, over an electric stove. Propane gas stoves will make it possible to continue cooking in the event of an emergency power outing.
- Put your devices to sleep! If you don’t want to completely power down your laptop or device, using your computer’s sleep mode or power management features can ultimately save you up to $50 a year.
- Whether it feels like it or not, your water consumption is increasing while working from home. Plus with added precautions being taken in washing hands more often, the hot water is running more often. Did you know a propane water heater lasts about 10 years longer than electric water heating pumps? Propane water heaters can save you a significant amount of money on your monthly bills. You won’t have to worry about maintaining or replacing your tank for several years.
- Make sure windows and doors are closed when running your heating or cooling system. Don’t waste your valuable energy (or money) by literally throwing it away! If the weather is nice outside and the temperature feels good, turn off your heating or cooling system for the day.
Regardless of your reason for spending more time at home this new year, switching to propane in your home saves you money! Propane is also eco-friendly and non-toxic. Since propane is a light and simple hydrocarbon, it is easily one of the cleanest burning fossil fuels. This means it doesn’t harm soil, water, or endanger the environment. If you have questions about switching to propane or are ready to make the switch, contact Keystone Propane today!